"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Sunday, February 28, 2016

One Ring, One Coin, One More Series....



So Grimm is quite interesting so far. It's still the first series so there's a likely chance it will get worse - but for now.....  I like it.

Let's not overthink my afinity for such things, da?

Although, I find the actors annoying at times. The guest ones, mostly. Mainly the ones I've seen elsewhere.

Let's start with him first.

He was in Mentalist. He played well against Jane, but I think I mainly just liked Jane driving his very expensive car blindfolded....

(Like everything Jane does, it worked perfectly - but then he forgot to set the brakes on a hill. Leading to a hedge. Leading to a cliff. Typical Jane. Thankfully the car was empty...)

So in Grimm SPOILERS  no, of course he's not going to be the villain: he's just going to seem like it, but he'll turn out to be a nice guy.

Where. To even. Start.

I've actually seen her in several things: Agents of SHIELD; Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing which was actually my introduction to her; and then, of course, Person of Interest.

The latter, of course, now permeates everything.

Because SPOILERS she's going to be a villain, but you're REALLY going to relate to and feel sorry for her, but she's not really going to care.

I really, really, really can't stand her. She's prettier as a spider though, I can grant that....

(On a side  note: I really am horrid about those spoilers. Not in general, but for Finch. One person finally watched past the scene and....  Oh, I'm definitely evil.)

Speaking of Person of Interest, that series was even worse at taking actors I knew and using them in basically every other episode. It was annoying. And such fun to guess the ending - I wonder if that has aired again yet....

I digress!  My hands are stiff....

But it is quite interesting. Incredibly predictable in most points, but what can you expect from a television series? Most follow the same paths. The same basic characters, the same basic forumla, the same basic ending...  More or less.

I'm talking characters, not episodes. Although those have been pretty predictable too - but that's irrelevant and normal. I characterise.

And the main characters are pretty dull. Nick Burkhardt is thrown into a world he doesn't understand and didn't know of, and he's pulling those he knows into the world with him. Monroe is someone that loves history and is alone and is teaching the world.

More or less. There's nothing to learn about them. And Juliette is the girlfriend who knows nothing about the world - that's going to end terribly....

(By the way, can magical creatures automatically read German? Or are they all taught it as children?)

Really, there's only one interesting character here on the series: the Captain.

Why? Because we know nothing about him.

SPOILERS!!! IN GENERAL!!!! Mostly for Flash and Grimm.

We know that he has ties in with and knows of the supernatural world around him. We know that he has high standing IN the world. We know that he works with very dangerous people in that world. And we have no idea what side he's truly on.

Nor do we know what he is. Is he a Grimm? Is he human? Is he a creature?

We don't know.

And that is the best part.

We also know he has a Smeagol-like affinity for certain gold coins, but I think that's the One Coin's fault and not his.

Sound familiar at all?


 Harold Finch did (and does) the same thing: we know nothing about him.

But Grimm is basically following almost the same thing as Flash - although you might say the 'reverse'.

It was unavoidable.

But while Wells was basically good and helpful and you couldn't believe that he was evil, the Captain is basically bad and we really doubt that anything good he does is truly for any good reasons.

Either way, the end result is the same: I want to follow his story line at expense of basically everyone else.

And I really, really hope he doesn't turn out completely bad - that has a bad habit of happening.

While we're talking of Flash that was still an idiotic ending. THE PARADOXES JUST WHY????

At least Doctor Who hides it better!!

Back to Grimm.

Actually, not quite: speaking of Flash and annoying crossover actors.....

Dr. Caitlin Snow. Who is annoying in Flash and about a hundred times more interesting in Grimm - but this probably has something to do with the fact that she's a supernatural character. What is there not to like?

She's also incredibly annoying as a character given her actions, but not nearly so much as Snow, so....  (That's ironic. She plays snow and breathes fire. I love it. Yes, I over-complicate things massively - I recommend not encouraging me unless you want me to continue weaving insane crossover universes....)

But back to the Captain.

Yet another character with an expertly chosen name: Sean Renard. Sean means either 'gift from God' or 'God is gracious', and Renard means 'fox'. Basically.

Which, alright, the meaning of the first might be a stretch to match up given - as I said - we know nothing of the Captain. However, he is certainly fox-like. He's wily and cunning and playing more than one part and he's smooth. Certainly a fox if nothing else.

And the first name can be twisted to basically anything, but I personally am leaning toward the presumption that he will end up fighting with Nick. Which, alright, I admit is wishful thinking - but I can dream.....  Besides, him being a villain would be dull. Much more fun to make him on the side of the hero and then get to make him, really, really double sided and multi-leveled. The best sort of character.

Although, as a fox, right now his character really reminds me of Heather Dale's song...

And up spoke our master huntsman, the Master of the Chase:
"If only the Devil himself come by, we'd run him such a race."
The men, the hounds, the horses went flying back to town;
And all on their heels went a little black fox, laughing as he ran:
"Ride on, my gallant huntsman, when must I come again?
For you should never want for a fox to chase all over the glen."

Which is....Oh, I really hope he's on the side of the good guys mostly - it would be a brilliant character arc then. (And yes, the song is a little weird, but it does apply....)

And for goodness sakes, STAY AWAY FROM COINS OF POWER!!!

Yes, that is what I've named those things. It fits.

Alright, now I'm curious.... Do more of the names fit? Again?

Nicholas Burkhardt -- 'People's Victory' and literally 'strong or hardy fort or castle'.

This name is genius. He's a Grimm - he's not really a supernatural being. He's basically a human. and, of course, not really. But by killing and hunting the evil supernatural things - even by just bringing criminal's to justice - he brings victory for the people. At the same time, he does defend the people - he is a Strong Keep to shield those unprepared and unknowing of the supernatural world around them. Just like a fort.

(Although, the more I think about it, a 'Grimm' is ancestral and hereditery too - it basically is a Wesen, isn't it?)

Let's see who's next...

Ah, Monroe. Finally learnt his name - danke schonn. He also only has one. Which irks me. I like two names. More fun.

Anyway!

 Monroe -- 'from the mouth of the red haired'.

Loose application. But in certain lights, his hair really does look more red than brown, or it could be applied to the bloody connotation's of a werewolf's role. But he is the one Nick goes to for information so the 'from the mouth' part definitely fits.

Ooh....this one's brilliant. On the level of Sean's and Nick's so far.

Actually, there are very few main characters here......

Adalind Schade -- I couldn't find 'Adalind' specifically, but Adaline was the same and means 'noble'. The surname means 'damage' or 'to do damage'.

The first? Is that it's a German name. this is brilliant in it's own right - actually, many seem to have names with German roots. Completely surprising, I know...

Now, 'noble' is trickier... It can mean someone of rank, someone (or something, just....assume the two are synonymous right here) high bred, renowned, well-known, illustrious..... It means more than just pertaining to rank or blood. It also means something of superior quality.

Now, onto her surname. It was a word that referred to either a thug or clumsy person, or to a robber knight that would raid other people's lands. And, of course, it's translation of 'to do damage'.

So her name literally means 'illustrious beginnings to do damage'. More or less, combining versions of definitions.

"You do ugly so well."

Really a brilliant choice for her character!

Juliette Silverton -- 'father's child' and 'white thorn'

Well, obviously, she is her father's biological child. Bit impossible not to be. Without knowing whether or not her character is like her father's, I can't say if that name fits perfect on all levels.

'White thorn' does fit, and a bit more characterly than her given name does. Because she's pure. Untouched. White. The 'thorn' I'm taking to mean the forests and thorny brambles in faerytales, given that this is Grimm and it's basically completely from faerytales. Now, the thorns or forests (are there ever any safe forests in faerytales? No. Thus? There are thorns. However, thorns stand for women and femininity, actually - sensibly, given the forests shroud and protect things and that is the essence of modest in a woman. Propriety. Ideal.

They also stand for refuge, and she is that to Nick - she is his refuge from the supernatural and the homicidal.

On a side note, in reference to her first name's meaning as 'father's child', Adam is the father of humans - it's the mythological Lillith that where in the WORLD did she come from that's the line of monsters. Thus? She is her father's child given that she's human and not supernatural.

She's also an example of a name that barely works until you overthink it massively.

And, by the way, she has grown on me since the Pilot. She is an excellent character - my only complaint against her is that she's a girlfriend. It would be immensely easier to ignore if they'd stop kissing please. And touching like that. It could be worse, I know - but it could be better.....

Hank Griffins -- 'enclosure or home ruler' and 'lord or prince'.

And his name is a perfect example of why I probably read into things too much. Because unless you take it to mean that he's the ruler of his house because he lives alone? This really doesn't match unless you stretch it so much that it could mean anyone. So, I'll get back to this at some point. Maybe. If they work with his character more.



Now, he is another problem with this series because he is entirely too much like the Asian from Sleepy Hollow for me to separate the two. Except he's thankfully alive. And, after I looked it up, thankfully they have different names - that would have been really, really creepy....

Which is basically the only reason he's on here because his name is incredibly dull and just means 'military or masculine'. Incredibly discriptive...

I do hope he comes up much more - I enjoy him.

What is it with me and my stubborn ability to prefer background characters over the main characters? Very, very irksome....

It is interesting though, how many series do this.

By the way, I wasn't going to include her, but I've seen more of her and think that it would be interesting.



Rosalee Calvert -- Well, I learnt something new. 'Rosalee' comes from 'Rose' comes from German words that mean 'fame' and 'kind or sort or type'. So the closest I could translate that is 'fame of a sort'. Very interesting......Of course, it also means 'rose like' and roses are associated with femininity, and innocence. And 'Calvert' simply means 'cattle herder'.

Sometimes, names are just brilliantly chosen, and then at other times it's obvious that I'm reading into this.

So. Rosalee. I majorly spoiled myself for her. Thanks a lot subconcious head. Thanks a lot. anyway!

Her name if I was to profile it or characterise it comes from her knowledge and innocent appearance and yet thorns of experience in her past, as well as her ability leading and corraling Nick and Monroe. Who really do just...lumber into things.

Yes, feel free to say I'm overthinking things. I'm aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....