"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Monday, February 22, 2016

Grimm Faerytales

.....I'll give you a hint for anyone who knows absolutely NOTHING about the Grimm's collections: if an episode opens with a quote concerning a certain wolf, and the episode continues to show a girl in a red hoodie jogging alone through the woods.....  What do you THINK is going to happen?

The original faerytales were NOTHING like the....gentled versions most children read. They were rather violent.

So wolf in the woods with girl alone - let's ignore what that story was metaphorically standing for and just hazard a WILD guess as to what happens, shall we?

By the way, as if I didn't have ENOUGH imagination problems concerning dark alleys, strange people, strangers in general? Thank you for intruducing me to this terrific series concerning creepy faery tales....  I'm sure I'll have no ill reactions to it WHATsoever.

He agrees with me.

On a side note though, don't study faerytales. There's a bit too much in it blatantly or subtext or not there at all and only there in my head which is COMPLETELY possible given how much I love complications, but it....  Well, it adds much to the series, but not in a good way. Ick.

However, if you don't know it, then it's perfectly fine! Minus the creepy parts of course and the general police series drama!

That being said it was....surprisingly funny. Very much so.

Well, except for the scene where you DON'T GO INTO A DARK HOUSE WITH A SUPERNATURAL CREATURE ARE YOU TRYING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED?

Which turned out about as well as could be expected to...
Do I WANT to know who she is? Not really...
I had rather expected Grimm to be like Sleepy Hollow. At points, it definitely is.

For the majority of it, however? Rather not. Oh, the humour is the same as it's the only kind I enjoy - but, it works at a completely different level of creepy.

And not in a bad way either, thankfully.

Speaking of this, what ELSE do I need to catch up on??
For all that Sleepy Hollow is....humourous and I do enjoy Ichabod's character, I've never had a good relationship with Sleepy Hollow or the legend of the Headless Horseman. Something about late nights and people telling a little girl a terrifying ghost story that does not end in the ghost being eradicated. It...left an impression.

So, on that note, whyever did I ever watch the series? Something about the Revolutionary War and a man that basically time travels to the modern era from it and I really should never have watched Forever - it has led to entirely too much trouble in my life.

However, Sleepy Hollow is something you never EVER watch at night with an open door behind you, and ESPECIALLY never alone. Seriously don't. Watch it in broad daylight with a cross and stake or letter opener or whatever calms your mind in your hand - while it is a fun series at times, the humourous moments are at least equally balanced with the terribly suspenseful ones. Making for a case of: WHY DO I KEEP WATCHING THIS THING!!!!

Although, perfect example of how I simply do not understand how Horror of Dracula, or House of Shadows (alright, that one's sort of a parody...), or The Mummy are considered horror films when they are not NEARLY as creepy as a television series? They're not even a percentage as creepy. Just...no.

Anyway! Side note....

So Grimm is actually incredibly tame. And the monsters are killed or done away with - an extra bonus point.

Granted, I'm only a few episodes in and much can change - but for now....


Lovely, creepy, faerytale stuff. Sadly, with a girlfriend. WHY must they feel the need to inflict that upon us watchers - I do not understand it.... I suppose I could be bored watching him try to court some other girl, awkwardly - so at least he already...has her, for lack of a better word. But I'm sure they'll still manage to make it dull and more awkward.

But I could be wrong! Who knows.

That cup, by the way, is NOT from Grimm. I've no idea where it's from, but the cup itself is gorgeous, and it fit them...mood that I've at the moment.

And while Penny Dreadful is a series that I can never, ever watch - it does have some absolutely gorgeous costumes that I really wish I could remake on my own.









I've yet to figure out how I got those pictures to sit so close together in my first few posts....  They refuse to work together now. To my frustration....

But the lace! And the collars! And the embroidery! And the beadwork! And.....Oh, the only thing I DON'T like about these is that I don't have them.

And that a few of them have rather low collars, but that is easily enough rectified.

And yes, they're also quite dark - but that only adds to it.

The high-collared, long-sleeved dresses are better though.

Sorry - it was this or a picture of Zachary Smith.....

After rambling, I do enjoy finding pictures for this.

But, back to my original point, I quite enjoy Grimm so far. It has been well-handled, and I especially enjoy trying to guess the faerytale from the opening quote.

...And I just realised that I've been using the archaic spelling for 'faery' again.....

10 comments:

  1. Don't hate in Juliette!!! I love her!!! Lol.

    I think she had a really good character ark in S2 and S3... Who knows? Maybe you'll grow to like her too. I know lots of fans didn't like her, and a lot still don't, but many started to like her as her character developed.

    I want to watch Sleepy Hollow so badly! It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....she's a girlfriend. And she doesn't know about him. It's not going to end well. (It isn't ending well, but I wrote this a few days ago. I've got about ten drafts, so I tend to forget which I've posted...) she's not the worst but.....

    She's not the worst character I've had to put up with - she's still better than Natalie so far (in Monk).

    Honestly, the main characters are rather predictable and I'm more watching the Captain. I should post that draft next though....

    It is!!! Heavily taking from Revelations and supernatural stuff to far more of an extant than Grimm and it is really creepy - just, don't blame me if you watch it and there's stuff in it you can't watch..... I usually jut reccommend that everyone research things on their own before watching a reccomendation of mine - it's safer.

    But I do quite enjoy it. The characters are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .......... I THOUGHT YOU DIDN"T WANT TO WATCH GRIMM! *Laughing* Well, it seems you like it all right thusfar... Anyways, I definitely agree with you about Penny Dreadful. The clothing is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ........from when? I don't know... It's been on my to at least try out once list (watchlist) for a while, I just never got around to seeing it..... Let me guess, we discussed it before?

      IT IS!!! I especially like that black and white dress and the red and black collar. I couldn't find any more of that costume though.....

      Yes, I do enjoy Grimm so far. There are about ten drafts that are waiting to be published, so I think I've a follow-up to this one....

      Delete
    2. Yes, we did... Well, all right!

      YES! Beautiful! And that's quite unfortunate.

      OOoh, all right!

      Delete
    3. Ah. Sorry...... Well, I'm watching it now? I really can't remember why I wouldn't have wanted to watch it. It would have been less than a year ago, so.... Sorry. (I might have gotten it mixed up with Sleepy Hollow though?)

      Delete
  4. Yes, perhaps. But either way, no worries. Favourite episode so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite episode? OH, I actually had one..... Oh! The one after the horrid golden goose one that I only watched for Renard and fastforwarded a lot of it....Which was that...

      Let me see.

      1x18 Cat and Mouse.

      I basically really liked the assasin for whatever reason.....
      I think he reminds me of someone... But so far, that's been my favourite.

      Delete
  5. AAh, yes, there was that one... The egg? Is that the horrendous episode you speak of?

    Ah, yes!!!! Excellent choice! *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess..... the egg was fine, it was everything else. So they're completely interwoven, but nonetheless.

      Delete

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....