"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Sunday, February 7, 2016

All Stories in the End...

Guess what? Today you won't be subjected to another rambling tribute or musing or what have you on Cushing nor any character of his!

Unless, of course, I decide to talk about his stint as Doctor Who - but another day perhaps? Who knows yet - it depends how long this post gets on its own.

Missy Master
Now, this post will containt major spoilers for the end of Doctor Who's eighth series - SO READ NO FURTHER THAN THIS IF YOU'VE NOT SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!!

I will likely change course later and will put in a note - but the primary topic is going to be spoiler-laden.

Clara was a complete disappointment. I preferred Amy infinitely more, and she annoyed me too. Clara rather reminded me of Martha and Rose - companions that fawned more over the Doctor. Or he did over them in Rose's case.

I liked Donna. Nothing. Whatsoever. Between them. All uncomplicated. And then she had to break my heart, but still...  She was fantastic.

But Clara was...dull. Boring. I don't know - there's just something about her....

Simm's Master
Anyway, so there was Matt smith's completely horrid regeneration episode, then there was Clara, and then.....Then there was Missy.

Oh, she's completely brilliant. She's a superbe character, a pleasure to watch, and easy to enjoy. She's the perfect foil to the Doctor, and plays off him perfectly. I absolutely adore her.

But she follows Simm.

Actually, she's a terrific Master, really....  It's just that she's a she.

I don't care about political correctness: the Doctor must always be white, male, and British. Or at least from the UK. Somewhere. If they ever regenerate him into a female, I will stop watching it until they fix it that's how much I hate that idea....

And Missy....  Oh why.....  I hate her - it just isn't right!! The only way I can keep watching her is separating her from the Master. She's Missy - completely separate.

Sorry, Missy.....

It's incredibly irksome....  Because she really is brilliant. And wasn't there a female Time Lady before? The Rani? Wasn't she enough to keep up? Just make Missy her!!  And bring Simm back - he was such fun.

However, this offers an interesting viewpoint for a much older companion.

Yes, this is likely going to be a rather picture heavy post.....  I have too much fun with this - blame the Reader.
Romana I. I'm not - wait, I actually can!

Romanadvoratrelundar.

Thus why the Doctor never shares his name: they're impossible to pronounce.

I can say her's, but Raxicoricophallapitorious is easier to say. I've no idea how it's spelt though - forgive me....

However, the situation with Missy and the Master offers an new insight into Mary Tamm's Romana.

She is such a fascinating character - such fun. Well,  Romana I was - I've not finished watching Romana II yet....  She's alright, but I much preferred Tamm.

The two fought constantly - and it was so much fun to watch!!  Rather like Donna and Ten, in a way - except she saw herself as smarter than him, and he couldn't stand her and purposefully annoyed her and....

It was immensely amusing.

However, one can't assume that the Master is the first or only Time Lord to regenerate into a different gender. Obviously, we can't assume whether he's the first because of prevalent time travel - but it doesn't make sense for a people to not do something before.

However, there's no proof in canon that something like this has happened before - is there?

Actually curious about that.....

However, let's think about Romana for a moment.

"One more thing. Your name."
 
"What about my name?"
 
"It's too long. By the time I've called out, 'Look out -' What's your name?"
 
"Romanadvoratrelundar."
 
"By the time I've called that out, you could be dead. I'll call you Romana."
 
"I don't like 'Romana'."
 
"It's either 'Romana', or 'Fred'."
 
"Alright. Call me Fred."
 
"Good. Come on, Romana."
 
Thus begins their terrific run together....
 
No wonder she can't stand him at points. But then, she was dumped on him and he generally hates interferences - but still...
 
However, back to my loose point. Her names.
 
She is, obviously, a woman. 'Romana' is obviously a gril's name. And yet....she doesn't like that name, she prefers 'Fred'.
 
Now, she could just immensely dislike the name 'Romana', she could be choosing 'Fred' to annoy the Doctor - or there could be another reason.
 
What if she regenerated into a different gender?
 
Now, I'm not saying this is true because then I'd have to forget it so I could enjoy her character - but it makes sense!

Romana, Leela, Donna, Ninth's Rose, Sarah Jane.....

Interestingly enough, I actually found a list somewhere the other day that listed the top twenty or thirty companions of the Doctor. Or maybe ranked all of his companions - I've no idea how much he's had....

K-9 wasn't on it though - he should have been. He certainly counts as a companion.

But I found it rather amusing - for whatever reason - that Clara was near the absolute bottom of the list.

Romana was number seventeen, Leela was quite high; as was Donna.

Surprisingly, Sarah Jane was actually the number one companion.....  She was fun.

Especially in Pyramids of Mars - that was a terrific serial.



And this is..... An absolutely gorgeous dress. I love it.

And I really really want it. I'd lin it with black though, instead of white or grey or whatever they've lined it with here; and I'd definitely make the collare higher - but oh! It's just....lovely.

The only downside is that this would take huge amounts of organza and satin and I'd have to draft the pattern entirely on my own.

Fun.

So it would likely be quite expensive.

What's new.....

perhaps someday I'll splurge. It would be worth it.

Except I'd likely spend the money on films to collect or hats and gloves and shoes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....