"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Sunday, February 21, 2016

It's a Dangerous Business....

"You know, that looks like a really interesting series! It looks like something I would really enjoy! I think I'll watch it - there aren't that many things I can watch."



"Well. THAT was a mistake.

Alright, so it's only happened once. Twice maybe - but I've not seen the Pilot for SG-1 in a while and can't recall what was in it....... But how many other times has it happened when I consider watching something and then have to ditch the idea because of the content!

Finding series the first time....
"I have nothing to watch now.... Well, I do - I'm just not in the mood for any of it.

Oh! Let's search shows similar to what I want to watch but have already finished!

Look at all these amazing series! I'll be busy for years! I'll never have to worry about watching series again!!

There are all just what I enjoy. Fantasy, mystery, history, comedy, drama, action....."


"And....there's the catch. There's only inappropriate content in every other episode at least......"

Thank you, series producers. I'd love to watch this thing! But I can't. I hope you're happy.

This is namely for three series currently - actually, four. Because I'm bored and was thinking the other day and just.....  WHY??

Anyway, the culprits of the hour are: Outlander, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, and Supernatural.

The last wasn't so much for inappropriate content as twisting the Bible ENTIRELY too much. Basically, once I heard they used angels, it was off-limits, and the more I learn, the more glad I am that I researched the series a bit before ever starting it.

I DID research Outlander, but apparently no one had correctly updated the parent reviews. That series is just.....  Time travel! In Scotland! Why??????

Downton Abbey only held my passing interest for the costumes and sets - but I can't really put up with......very, VERY good friendship between valet and Lord. Nothing wrong with rank or anything - but that was TOO good a friendship. And sadly rather explicit if I caught on.....

And then there's Game of Thrones. A massive world, different language, rich cotumes elegant hair, new cultures, complex stories.... And if you disregard the crude language and humour, it's STILL incredibly inappropriate for a MOVIE let alone a television series.



I'm just going to sit over here and bang my head on my desk, alright?

alright. I'll grant that most television series tend to be safe for me - thus why I'm more likely to turn to them. However, romance also gets on my nerves. Generally, through whatever fault in my head, I completely miss it - but when they get obvious, it's just......

Ick. Ick. Ick. Ick. Ick.

I know, I'm incredibly mature.

But it's usually completely pointless.

Can't we just be friends? What's wrong with just being friends?

I also know that I'm a hypocrite in that, given that the High Fantasy book features SEVERAL marriages.

However, one was...forced, for lack of a better word, several were arranged, one was of conveinience, and most read like brother and sister.

Which I didn't realise until I started another book with siblings and realised I wrote them the same.

So there is that........



And then there's period dramas and films and series set in the past.

these are just...amusing.

Oh, some are quite good, and some have TERRIFIC inspiration for characters given that the garments are at least similar - but......

Then there are the older ones.

This isn't something I myself have noticed much in series - but it is common in films: the older the film is, the more likely it is closer to the period it is made in and not the period it's depicting.

This obviously doesn't hold true for ALL things - but let's take Cushings Pride and Prejudice for the moment. His costume is passable, and her's - while a bit too ruffly is still close in silhouette at least. Then there is the adaptation either directly before or directly after, and the women look as if they stepped out of the Civil War. Wrong style ENTIRELY.

And not even similar enough to the Georgian era to be counted as them having been too poor for whatever reason to update their fashion.

Which was basically impossible anyway given they went to BALLS. Their clothes were fashionable. Kitty's especially.

And it's not always terribly glaring (don't watch Disney's adaptation of Swiss Family Robinson - not only is it horribly handled and ruined, it's costumes also tend to be a bit more modern than period) but it is worse in the past. Especially for the leading ladies and romantic interests.

The more modern the film or series, the more accurate they are - they actually can do the research now, I think.


But this is so often my reaction to watching a series.......... Both of their's - Allen's and Weaver's.

WHY do they have to put that stuff in series? It boggles the mind and is generally just infuriating!

It's a dangerous business, watching a show - you start on the Pilot, and there's no knowing where you'll be swept off to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....