"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Ride to Ruin and the World's Ending!

The Reader will know from whence this comes....

Also, for now, NO PICTURES ON THIS PAGE ARE MINE!!  I don't know whose they are, but unless I put 'made by Angelique' beneath them, they are. not. mine.  I want to make a picture for this - but don't know if I'll have the time.....

Where is the horse and the rider?
 
Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain,
Like wind in the meadow.
The days have gone down in the West,
Behind the hills into Shadow.
How did it come to this?
-- Tolkien
 
 
The rain is falling, but does not cleanse -
The tears are washing, but only burn.
Each day is nightfall, always darkened -
From when comes hope? Where will men turn?
 
The blood is falling, but does not free -
The people screaming, but all is still.
The towers shattered, broken down -
What can go on sans strength or will?
 
The men are falling, but are not counted -
Life is reborn when all falls down.
Lost in the ashes, fire is rekindled -
From scarred remnants comes a new crown.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Where is the horn I once heard blown aloud,
That resonated o'er a mighty crowd?
What has befall'n the ancient mighty kings?
They have fallen – no more the White Tree springs.
No more the horn shall e'er be blown aloud.

Where is the horse that heraldred hope come,
The fire and strength with dawn or setting sun?
What has beaten the prideful, ancient kings?
They have fallen – no more to voice blessings.
No more the horse shall e'er to battle run.
 
Where is the sun that once lit up the day,
Showed treachery and banished night away?
What thing of yore has crushed the ancient kings?
They have fallen – no more to heal men's stings.
No more the sun shall rise to pass away.
 
 
Where is the life that once breathed through this land,
That gave and took with a forgiving hand?
What fate has taken down the ancient kings?
They have fallen – their fate on us life brings.
No more shall life rejuvenate the land.

Where is the horn I once heard blown aloud?
Where is the horse that led and strengthened crowds?
Where is the strength that flowed through ancient kings?
This path we ride to us life or death brings -
Once more in war the horn is blown aloud.

 
 
Alright! Now that I've gotten that over with.....
 
No, this started with Theoden's musing and Helm's Deep. It's a speech - lines, something like that - that I wrote out in calligraphy once and sort of memorised. Tolkien is much like Shakespeare in that regard - quite easy to memorise.
 
Speaking of Shakespeare, I'm slightl fixated on iambic pentametre at the moment. The second powm obviously wasn't blank verse (it rhymes) but it's still iambic pentametre. and it was fun to write.
 
That picture collage of Boromir's Death is what I had originally wanted to do; but finding clear pictures of that scene? Are nigh impossible. I really wish I could take stills myself, but that's not going to happen, so....  Perhaps someone uploaded better pictures from when I made it last? Or maybe I can search better now? I can hope....
 
This does mean that I'm likely to do a post on Faramir next, or soon....  He invariably tends to come up when I get on the subject of Lord of the Rings.
 
Speaking of Lord of the Rings.....
 

How in the WORLD do elves fight with their hair down?? And it stays pretty? And generally tangle free? What special conditioner do they have that I don't because my hair is a foot shorter than Tauriel's and only a few inches shorter than Thranduil's and my hair would get SO tangled in about five minutes....
 
Not to mentions! Fighting? I'm sorry - my hair has been TWO INCHES long before and just TRY to ban an opponent from grabbing it in a fight. I know this from painful experience. And that was just two inches - and I'd pull his hair too at less than an inch. hair three or more feet long? Hanging basically loose and free? You cannot tell me the oppoenent wouldn't take advantage of that.
 
And even given that the orcs are too retarded to do so (which is plausible, certainly), then what about the Kinslaying and those battles? Elves aren't that dumb and they're certainly smart enough to take advantage of hairpulling! CHILDREN at least would have figured it out.
 
Fine. We'll grant that they're elves and so have special consideration given they're perfect and functionally immortal, and exist to be ethereal and timeless. They do their job well.
 
Then what about Kate Beckett? Theresa Lisbon? Jo Martinez? Perhaps in the office it doesn't make a difference - they're not fighting a life or death battle - but hair NEVER looks that perfect all day!! After a few hours, it gets wsipy, and tangled, and clumped - and who'd want that? Either you'd brush it out, or put it up. Leaving it down is just....very impractical with long hair.  It irks me.
 
 
For whatever reason, I was writing the first poem, and her Lament for Thorin was going through my head. It was fitting, what with all else herein....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....