"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Bealocwelm Hafað Fela Feorhcynna Forð Onsended...

"Bealocwelm hafað fela feorhcynna forð onsended..."
'Baleful death hath many of my living kin sent forth...'
Nope. No one would EVER want to recreate this hairstyle. Never. Ever. We couldn't have had her walk away from the camera ONCE.
That is an interesting question though - they save the costumes, why do they not have instructions for the hairstyles? Because there are many that it would be helpful to at least have brushing out instructions or whatnot....
I'm actually surprised this hairstyle still worked.
I'd figured it out a year or so agao, when I adapted most of the hairstyles from Lord of the Rings to my own fashion. Well, most of the main ones - my hair was never naturally wavy and I flat out refuse to cut it. Traumatising. Majorly.
Anyway! The last time I did this hairstyle, my hair was long and completely uncut - all one length. Since then, I've rounded off the edges and cut it a few inches shorter in the front to accomodate longer lasting pincurls - but somehow, this still held and worked. Some of this might be attributed to the current waning pincurl set I still have in my hair (after....eight days now? I love pincurls.) since it helps my hair keep its place, but even so.
I should say that before I go into this, that it works much better for people with longer hair than I. It would probably work even better on someone that has thick or medium and slightly wavy hair. As it is, my hair is medium and completely straight and...not the best for this. And, as I said, shorter too. Sadly.....
Interestingly enough, it's almost like her hairstyle at the funeral and the one in the Hall are two different hairstyles with a similar base. Granted, given the time Rohan is shaped after, hairpins and holding...products are hardly going to be common or existing, so the back likely fell down - but for whatever reason, it looks like she has LESS hair to work with in the Hall than she did in the Funeral.
I don't know why - they might not have even been on the same day and continuity can't be perfect and I'm just nitpicking. I am working from about four good pictures and my limited abilities to coerce hair into cooperating with me.
Although, if you look at her side in the hall (all pictures here are from the Hall save the final one) and compare it to the side at the funeral, the funeral's is more....shaped while the Hall's looks like it was haphazardly pinned up.
This isn't mine and I've no idea who drew or made it, but I used it because it clarifies the pattern in the hair. It looks more like a three-strand braid rather than a rope braid, but for my hair the three-strand braid would not work as well.
Although, perhaps, one day I will try it........ But not this day!
Anyway.
While the original hairstyle features her circlet, it's really not strictly necessary. As long as the rolls are not made too tightly and are pinned up, then it works quite well without it or any sort of stand in.
First, part your hair in the middle. And brush it out completely, but part your hair in the middle.
From the part, brush the hair slightly forward toward the face. Not completely - just angled a little bit. If you are using a circlet or something to stand in for it, now is when to put it on. It is not set straight on the head, but rather at an angle - the back rests loswer on the head than the front.
First, I can't draw.
Second, I don't use pictures of myself.
Third, this is the set up for the front of the hair.
Start by taking a thin half-inch of hair from the front of the head, the purple section. Twist it loosely up and back over the circlet. Add a bit more hair to it and continue twisting back. Continue adding and twisting the hair loosely back  until all hair to the very back of the ear is gathered up. Secure this twist right on the circlet or right above it. Now, gather an half-inch more of hair behond the hair and brush it up to meet the twisted hair. Divide this in half and rope braid it.
Repeat with the other side of hair.
When you rope braid it, do it as close to the end as possible, and cross the two braids over in the back of the head atop the circlet.
Again - i don't draw. But, this is the back of the head.
The blue lines are the rope braids that continue on from the twists from the face. They continue on from that and circle inward around each other.
Divide the remaining hair in the back into two sides and rope braid each side to the end - the orange and red-purple lines. They can be circled inward as much times as possible.
Use as many hairpins as necessary to secure the hairstyle and hairspray at your discretion. make certain that all loose ends are tucked beneath the rest.
If one does use a circlet or a ribbon for one, it is easy enough to push the foundation up atop the head as more of a headband than a diadem.
The title of this piece comes from Beowulf, but it ALSO comes from Eowyn's mourning song. I'm rather curious to know if the line just happened to fit, or if they took the line first and then wrote the rest around it.....

And is she wearing a hood?  Interesting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....