"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Stern as Steel, Daughter of Kings

 
 
 
 Who is this man? He seems so fair -
Like one come hence from yore.
He walk is stately, his carriage humble -
He has learnt from those before.
He is a man to be admired,
Who learns when he has failed
But only falls to rise again,
Will not himself be hailed.
 
Who is this man? Upon his head
Rests no ancient crown.
Rather his head is stained with sweat,
Knees stained from kneeling down.
His clothes are torn, his wealth he gives -
Others will he clothe.
He will stoop where others scorn -
Serve where others loathe.
 
Who is this man? He seems so fair,
And yet a common man.
He is a lord, and yet no one -
He leads because he can.
There is no pride within his heart,
Another would he praise.
For his service do him men hail,
His loyalty men praise.
 
 
When I spoke of doing a post on Faramir, this is NOT what I had in mind. However, I've never quite cooperated with myself.....  thus! Another dull, rambling post that only I find any use in.
 
I design clothes. Not official - goodness, no one would want them! My fashion is rather outdated. However, I've no patterns and make my own clothes from my own designs. I've made Barbie clothes almost my whole life, and have always drawn out the outfit first, and then sewn it. More recently, I draw out the costumes for my books, or outfits I would love to make at some point.
 
This post is a post of what I would like to make.
 
It is called Faramir's Gown, because it's inspired by him, and Numenor, and the Kings, and Gondor - all of which are basically him. Aragorn fits into a different category - he's not quite Gondorian. His raising by the Eldar probably has a bit to do with that.....  But anyway! I designed a gown.
 




Again.
 
This is my initial inspiration. Obviously. For whatever reason, gondor is equated with the uniform of the tower guard - of silver embroidery on black velvet. Thus, the colours of the gown are black and silver.
 
I should warn you that my tastes when I've my own will tend to be much darker - and Lord of the Rings is perfect for this palette.
 
So, black and silver. And I tried to find an example of this..... It failed miserably.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The colours of the one on the left are better fitting, but at least the one on the right shows the embroidery clearly. And I could have gone into Photoshop and sharpened and contrasted it - but I'm too lazy. Besides, I was sketching the gown.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Obviously, Faramir. However, the reason that outfit (although it was first on my mind, but I usually picture him in black velvet, so....) does not feature first in inspiration is because I COULDN'T FIND IT!!  Which irked me immensly. But naught I could do for it. I do love the costumes in Lord of the Rings.
 
That would be an absolutely splendid job - designing costumes? That would be...heaven. Except, of course, again, I wouldn't fit there either.
 
And I know Boromir's outfit in that scene is more red and green, but the colouring on that picture is just...too perfect. And I needed SOMETHING of Boromir in it. It was about this point the gown devolved into a tribute to the Sons of Gondor. But Faramir is my favourite, and so the gown stays his.
 
I did finally find a picture of his coronation costume, which is barely visible.  And it rather fits Rohan better. What with all of the embroidery.
 
However, it did serve its purpose and I got the cloak and the underskirt decided. I did have the sleeves done as well, but those morphed when I began gather images again.
 

 
And then there's Denethor. Well, I needed SOME example of the colours!!
 
That's basically all he's good for, really. Well, in this. He is an interesting character in his own right - intruiging to study.
 
Have I spent too much time in Middle Earth? Yes, probably. Why else would I be designing a gown from it?
 
Maybe I should do a wedding gown too.....  But that would be all white - that would be dull.
 
 
 
So there's the inspiration for this thing.
 
I knew it would be black and silver. It would have a fitted bodice, and likely a half circle skirt at least. Or a full circle skirt with a train in the back - much like Arwen's mourning gown. There would also be an underdress of white satin, and an overdress of sheer black organza. And, of course, the cloak. Alright, now that I had that idea, how to share it with another given my drawing skills or nil?
 
Find pictures. Right. Besides, it's not like I've ANYTHING else to do.....  HA!!
 
This is the initial shape of the dress. That's the perfect skirt too. The neckline, of COURSE is too low - but the sleeves and skirt and general silhouette are perfect. As is the colouring if it were black instead of navy blue.
 

 
 
The peach dress on the right is a horrid colour - I did tell you I liked the darker tones - but the sleeves were....too much to pass up on. They would definitely be part of the sheer overdress as the underdress and main dress have fitted sleeves - but still. The overdress' sleeves, do NOT go to the wrist, instead they end at the elbow and the main dress and underdresses sleeves continue.
 


 
Now, these two just...fit perfectly. the high lace collar on the right would have to fall down further in the front - the V must reach down further, but the white last of the dress on the left would be silver and edge around the black high collar.
 
The sleeves on the left dress, however, are perfect. Although the main dress' sleeves would be wrist lenth not three-quarter.
 
This is the perfect example of what the undersleeves will be. The material will be white satin, but the black lace on the edge will come up over the hands. That embroidery is also rather fitting.
 
I'm undecided as to whether or not the maindress opens in the front to reveal the underdress. Or perhaps it's cut at a higer hem to allow the underdress to peek through? I don't know yet....
 
I've only made the basic sketches for this gown - I've still the finished drawing, and then hopefull a back and side view. I'm never good at drawing sides......
 
 
Now, I suppose it's a question of whether I include the fabrics and trims in here this time as well?
 
This is just a massively over-pictured post, isn't it......  Well! I did say it would be useless to everyone else!
 
 

Let us start at the top.

This is the collar. There would possibly be a silver ribbon of lace - but that would ultimately depend on how it looked. Sometimes solid colour is just better.

However, if there were to be lace, it would look something like this one beside.

Now, onto the lace about the collar.

More or less, exactly like that on the side. It would have to be a steeper V to accommodate the collar, but that is what it is.

I will say one other thing though: most of this lace tends to be....flowery. I tried to find the most similar to what's in my head - but just sort of mesh the White Tree symbol with the lace and embroidery and it works better.

The majority of this outfit is black. Why? I like it.

And it's a sight easier to wear than silver. That's trickier.

The overdress is a sheer black organza material.
It serves basically no purpose but to look pretty. Of course.

The cuffs at the elbows of the overdress will be overlaid with the lace on the left - which, by the way, is exactly what I picture.

The hem and collar - which is a very, very wide v-neck - from shoulder to shoulder. Really, it's just something thrown over the gown - are edged in delicate black lace, but i couldn't find an example. Just picture the above lace in black.

The overdress is clasped in the front with a single diamond-like crystal.

The main dress - we'll just call it the gown - is made primarily of black satin. Almost a matte black satin, but it still does have some shine.

Not an extremely light satin either - it has some weight to it, although not nearly as much as brocades or velvets. Just a.....sober weight. If that makes sense?

There is a....waist piece on the bodice - which is fitted. The waistpiece is almost a waist cincher, except it's just sewn into the gown and down't pull the waist tighter. I've no way to describe it.... Swiss Waist!!  That's what it is. A Swiss Waist, basically.

The waist is black velvet overlaid with black lace, and edged in silver lace.

Yes, the same silver lace the cuffed the overdress....  I quite liked it!  If possible, the velvet would also be...embossed? Is that the word? With embroidery swirls and whatnot. Almost too dark to see. The cuffs of the gown's sleeves are also black velvet.

The hem of the gown is in black lace.

While we're speaking of the black velvet, let me digress for a moment to the cloak or robe. Robe probably fits better.....

That is also in black velvet (obviously) lined with a silvery-lace, net thing.  Whatever that on the side is.

That lace net is on the underside of the robe.

The robe clasps to the gown with diamond like crystals too.

Now! On to the underdress.

This is.... Well, it can be worn separately, and then it's more for the women of Gondor, and for the House of Healing. However, it's worn beneath the black gown and is a few inches longer so the black lace trimm and silver peeks out beneath.

Of course, the problem to this is that it drags - but I'd be wearing a gown! It's expected.

alright. So the sleeves of the underdress are basically the same as on the gown, except there is black lace on the cufffs that covers the back of the hand.
 Basically like that lace on the side if it were wrapped around the cuff of the sleeve.

The lace of the bottom does NOT go all of the way up the skirt, but the edging and curls of the french lace on the left is the very hem.

Extending up from that is....
 This lace on the right. The points going upward.

The material below is the material for the underdress. A lighter satin than the gown, but still with a weight, and still almost matte.

The collar is high, and looks almost exactly like Faramri's coronation robe, except with black embroidery instead of silver.

C'est Voila! My first foray into insanity......
 
 
 Of course, this is only going to cost me a fortune to make, and finding any lace is going to be nigh impossible.....  But I can dream!

Impractical, of course - oh, but I would love to have this. It would be....  I'd probably wear it out!

Church, dances, dinners.....  I've handled formal gowns in public before - I could easily handle a fantasy gown.

The hardest part would actually be my hair. How in the WORLD would I style it? Elegantly, of course....  And i'd have to get a better silver necklace.....  Oh - perhaps an emerald-esque one!!  That would bring in the last aspect of Gondor: the King!!

Anyway.....



I know that's for Eowyn - but it fits this gown MUCH better.

I'll post the drawings later if I do. I've tresspassed enough upon the Reder's time and patience.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....