"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Ménage à...Douze? Vingt? Trente? Cent?

So I like languages. And Literal translations. The title simply translates to 'household of....twelve? Twenty? Thirty? One Hundred?' Ask not my reasons...... Well, it's simply for the fandoms I'm a part of - just how many ARE there.....



I had forgotten how I ever started watching Merlin. It was one of those series I had heard about, but it wasn't reccommended to me and since I read legends, I knew generally what would happen.

Thankfully, the series did manage to leave out the worst things and the closest it came to it was done by a ghost and not real, so.....  Anyway.

But I was first introduced to the series proper through that music video - but never wanted to watch it.

How then did I go from never wanting to watch it to finishing the series?

I was watching bloopers of another series and absently weighing the pros and cons of starting that series - the cons must always come out. That's just principle - and remembered that I had done this before and I finally remembered how I started watching Merlin.

It goes right up there with ever, ever, ever say that I 'won't' or I 'can't'.

You'd think that since it invariably contradicts itself later that if I said that I would never be happy or that I can't be happy or good - you'd think THAT would contradict itself too. No. Of course not. THAT remains true as spoken, of course.
Probably Résmar's.....
Is anything predictable?

and then people say that I complicate things - that life has a lot of black and white. EVERYTHING HAS AN EXCEPTION!! There is basically almost no such thing as absolutes.

Even THAT has - I just completely paradoxed my head........  Alright. So there's absolutely no absolutes except that one and God. So almost no absolutes but God? That sounds better. I think.

I don't know - I got really, really twisted up in that. I'll leave it alone.

I just sort of realised that my house is First, going to be large; and Second, going to be incredibly dangerous.

Do you know how many weapons and traps and poisons there are from films and series??  Do you know how much I would really, really, really like?

And let's not get started on my own weapons. Basically every family line has a blade design to match their heralds - and then there's the stone angels!!  Every single angel has a sword. Very, very sharp, delicate, deadly sword.

I love fantasy worlds. And deleting earth - it makes it easier to make everything work seamlessly.

I'd also have to have so many trinkets and replicas and...I think there's only two vehicles. The other one was dull.

ah, but that's what dreams are for, right? So you can hope for the impossible.

"Moriarty, if evil for evil's sake were a pathological condition, that would be your diagnosis."

So the Russian Moriarty is probably the absolute best in comparison to canon. He literally looks as if he walked off Paget's illustrations. Next would be Andrew Scott hands down through and through if just because - while he's completely inaccurate - he is so. much. fun. Jared's turn in Game of Shadows was on par with Scott's. The only complaint with him is that he's not true to the books and isn't as good as Scott. But then again, most of those films aren't......

Elementary's Moriarty is the only reason I'd watch the series but I can think of another series I won't watch that I'd watch before Elementary. The things WRONG with that series!!!  Just...why. No. Please. That being said - their handling of Moriarty is...unique and brilliant and I would have enjoyed seeing it if it weren't for the other MAJOR faults with that series that make it rather unwatchable.

Let me see......Rathebone's was....dull. Rather. I found most of those dull, actually - but it was probably a good thing I saw them before I read all of the cases.

Who else have I seen...... I've seen a few representations in other series - but most of those tend to be of Holmes rather than Moriarty (predominatly, Murdoch Mysteries - which has the best side story for the ressurection of Holmes EVER and good grief you should at least just go watch that episode. (and then the whole series....) It is.....brilliant. Given the time and how famous Holmes was. Brilliant, parfait.
Made by Angelique

(so, example of my horrid learning of languages. There's 'parfait', 'magnifique', 'fantastique', 'superbe'....These are all easy to figure out when I forget them. And then there's 'formidable'. No, it doesn't mean 'formidable'. It means something similar to the preceding words - but I can't recall the exact translation!!  So I use it and know what it means, but I couldn't translate it......  This is why I can't teach languages....)

There was Roché's portrayal of Moriarty (or of a man playing Moriarty) and that....was the best part of the episode. Honestly, that was another well-handled episode. **SPOILERS FOR CSI 4X11 OR SOMETHING** Given Holmes was the one shot and that the suspects were Irene Adler, Watson, and Moriarty - or the people portraying them which shall henceforth be understood as such - the obvious choices for the murderer would have been Moriarty or Watson. Moriarty because he's Holmes' nemesis, and Watson because he was his friend - it would have been a twist. Instead, it was Adler - the one that.....didn't come to mind for an obvious option. So, bravo! It was worth watching albeit the subtext was confusing.

It reminded me of when I started watching The Mentalist - I started with "Pretty Red Balloon" and "Red Bricks and Ivy", and the later was in the fourth series and the former in the first; and I watched them in that order. So I had NO idea what was going on, who anyone was......  (You can watch Red Balloon on it's own and I do reccommend it if you like precedurals. Jane is.....an infuriating pleasure to watch. Not the best, but he was certainly worth the series.)

That series is also the only one I've caught up to and then finished as it aired. I've got a bad habit of catching up and then letting the series finish before catching up again. Murdoch especially - although I've not caught up to that yet. Castle  on the other hand.....No. That is.....I'm almost willing to quit the thing except Castle and Beckett are so much fun when they're not infuriating.

(For anyone considering that series - you will be tortured with more torture than anyone has been tortured before unless maybe they watched the
Hobbit expecting it to be like the book. The series does make the wait completely worth it - but then they turned around and ruined it and almost made me quit. So.......you'll hate it, but it's worth it.

Do not go to me for reccommendations for I will say both 'no' and 'yes'. Unless i know you and your personality VERY well, at which point I can give you a more...narrowed answer.)

But I had forgotten how much Grace hated Jane at the beginning...... And I always thought Roché looked familiar because he looks quite similar to Jonathan Harris' Dr. Smith - but he was actually in The Mentalist. That at least is more plausible.  (So I was rewatching some of Jane's best episodes. And then realised that as long as Red John wasn't in them or one of his murders wasn't, they were all good....  So there was that. I was going to watch the one with the blind car driving - but I got very distracted. what's new!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....