"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Is That What Really Matters?

Please, explain to me how 'Bllyyddpaetwr' becomes phonetically 'Baldpater'? Does Welsh just randomly combine countless consonants to make it impossible  for anyone to pronounce the letters? Have they some vendetta against anyone learning the language? HOW did such a language even get invented? It's not even phonetic! Was it created by three year olds?


And on that note.......

On a side note, HOW DOES ANYONE WRITE A COMPLETED MANUSCRIPT OF A NOVEL IN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS?

Even if we allow for the absolute minimum word count of forty thousand (how would he count it in the first place? He's working on a typewriter!) how does one bother trying to  write even a rough draft of a novel, with working characters and plot, in a genre one has never attempted before, and has no practice in - IT'S BASICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!

And perhaps it's not impossible. Perhaps it's just because I'm incapable of writing simple stories - but I'd have lost the bet.

I'd also have bet for a bit more time - say, a week at the absolute least if I could write without interruptions.

But a DAY?? He's insane.

....my feelings on this subject have nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I've not finished a single book yet because I've an annoying habit of editing and rewriting as I go along, and of worldbuilding forever.

I have immense fun, of course - why else would I do it - but I never get the story finished!

It irks me.

But real life demands my homage, and so Líker must be set aside for the moment. I'm sure it will come back with a vengeance later.

House of Shadows really is a brilliant film. Especially sticking the main character into the setting. Because it really is overly cliched (purposefully), and he is the very character that viewers always clamour for, (no, don't go into the dark dungeon - WHY do you think that's safe?) and he's seen all the cliche's before, and he's not going to be taken in by the atmospheric conditions.

(Don't watch the film when it's actually thunderstorming - it really is a well done albeit simple film.)

Someone else really does need to watch that film so I can discuss it - because I really do refuse to spoil it.



Which, by the way, if you know the story behind that scene above, you will have the answer to all spoilers I may give. Well, all for anyone that has a chance of finishing the series that is.

But look what I found! Finally!

 I've already made Tom Baker's thirty foot scarf from the Fourth Doctor - I enjoy making what little things I can from fandoms. And this? Even better than Benedict's blue scarf from Sherlock.

Unfortunately, there's no pattern for it.

But! I finally found a full length picture for it!!

It's the same stitch and pattern as the Doctors, and I dare say it's just as wide - but! Now I finally have the length and the ending.

I can make it! Once I get the yarn. Of course. Which means I shan't for quite a while....

On a semi-related note - I ALSO figured out his afghan! Blanket - whatever that thing is.

That was the other thing on my 'to make eventually in my lifetime' list, but that has even less of a pattern than Brett's scarf does. The scarf at least, I found another person that made it before - the afghan had no such documented creation.



The problem was always that I had no idea what the pattern was. The yarn...would have to simple be determined by sight - but naught could be done without a pattern!

And then I saw this picture on the left here: I know that stitch. It's really simple and I've already made about ten afghan's with it - it's the granny square. Or at least that's the name I learnt for it.

So, far from being a shawl as I originally thought, this is actually a blanket. Easy enough to make!

Of course, the problems would be make the small stitches - but..... I could manage that. Another problem would be how often the brown rings are put in - I suppose I should have to watch that episode again....

Granada's Musgrave Ritual was...interesting. A bit inaccurate given that Watson was there, but naught the worse for it. And Holmes was quite amusing throughout the whole thing - a bit sulky and sharp, but amusing. Espcially in that I suspect Watson drug him out to the country - I've really not seen it for a while....

But now I can make those items!!

On another sidenote, look what ELSE I found...

by Egle Marcogliese
It's a series of cocktail and formal gowns for the Batman villainesses Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harlequin, and....oh, there was one more.... Now I can't remember the thing.

Oh well - it will come to me. Basically, there were four main villainesses.

But she made these cocktail and formal gowns inspired by the comic characters and their costumes.

Sound familiar?

Oh, what would i give to have that dress though - it's absolutely gorgeous!!

And I love the colour scheme. And the fabric. Especially the fabric.

But it caught my eye because it wasn't made as a cosplay - it was just designed marrying comic characters with vintage fashion. And I love it.

And it makes me sad.....

Back to my original point, House of Long Shadows is brilliant - but definitely one to watch more than once. Sadly, I know the end this time adn so it doesn't surprise me - but it's still just as terrifying as it was the first time through. And that's saying a lot for an older film.

However, knowing the end, adds a completely new insight to the characters and the dialogue leading up to the end.

And it's so much more amusing too - especially watching the characters. That was fun the first time through given the caliber of the acting (not of the main characters - but the quartet that is.), but even moreso now that I'm not trying to figure out the ending.

It is, truly superbe. I've a feeling this is  a story I will always enjoy.

And the best thing about it? No horrid romance!

......but I'm not spoiling it. hopefully. (someone, watch it, please? Else I'll memorise the entire film and then heaven help anyone else that sees it....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....