"...I hate repitition, I really do. It's like asking a painter to paint the same picture every day of his life." -- Peter Cushing

"Don't be too brave. Bravery is a fine thing on some occasions, but sometimes it can be quite a dangerous thing. The stiff upper lip is not always the best." -- Jeremy Brett

"We don't always get the kind of work we want, but we always have the choice of whether to do it with a good grace or not." -- Christopher Lee

Friday, March 18, 2016

By Grabthar's Hammer....


Alright. So he'd happily toss me out of an airlock.

He was the main reason I ever enjoyed the film enough to notice the parodical nature of the film and the homage it pays, and by that point I'd memorised nearly the entire film and enjoyed it on it's complete merits.

It is sort of like House of Long Shadows  - and this may be a spoiler in and of itself, but I think I'm the only one in this corner that watches the old films of that sort, so.... - in that it is a film that only works as a parody, as it was made. If - as the aforementioned film was in Britain - it was marketed as a serious contribution to the genre, it would likely....what's the English word for it....bomb? No, that's good....  Oh, forget it - the film would recieve low ratings in theatre and would not be remembered well. However, if it was marketed as a comedy, then-!  It's humourous on it's own merits, but standing upon the history of all it parodies! It adds to it.

But that was a side note that I just realised.

No, I was thinking about Galaxy Quest. There have only been.....four or five series of Star Trek? Not including the old spin-off films? Six if you count the reboot series, even though it's in film and not television format. But nonetheless, there have been a LOT. And that's ignoring the countless books.

So I had been musing on how a reboot of that film would work - sort of a reunion. (I work in corssovers.....) Obviously, it wouldn't happen - like so many other things, any continuation would bring the entire house of cards tumbling down. But.....  I mean, perhaps to answer the Reboot films? Now THAT would be an interesting scene to parody - and then I remembered.

It's completely impossible.

Well, in any way that would interest me at least. My humour is best dry, and.....

I always enjoyed watching Spock and McCoy. Kirk was my first favourite when I was young, but he was too brash and plain - too.....innocent, in a way. Always escaping punishment. As he said, he never likes to lose. I've never really cared for that type of character. Better the man - or woman - that has lost and paid a dear cost and yet struggled up again than the person that has escaped all consequences. McCoy and Spock? Both have lost and both got up again.

That they have the MUCH more intruiging interaction attracted my attention long before my characterising skills were discovered though - my brother and I were always wont to repeat their lines forever....  I could never manage Spock's perfectly straight face although I aft agreed with his sentiments - or lack thereof - so I took McCoy's side. He had the more....lengthy speeches anyway, and the more opportunity....creative lines.

I suppose that if you combined the language of Spock and McCoy and took away their bravery then you would have Dr. Zachary Smith from a show that ran alongside Star Trek, Lost in Space. The bravery, the heartlessness, the humanity, the flawed nature, the ability to seem above it all - to be above it all, the ability to care so much and yet to seem like he doesn't care at all....

Hm..... Interesting.

Alright. So Smith is stereotyped as an eternally dumb coward who sells his 'family'  - for lack of a better term - out to the highest bidder and then runs back to them for help when everything invariably goes wrong, but......

***SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!***

He is a spy. A spy in a place where to be caught would be treason and so would end in death. And he is a doctor - the last man checking the pioneers out. He is also trusted to sabotoge the complex ship in such a way that it would not be detected until too late. He is also intelligent enough to hide himself once he realises that he is trapped with the people he tried to murder.

He is not dumb. He is a doctor - the highest doctor in the facility. so he has to be the best of the best of the best - this was a space journey. He also understand the ship and so has some knowledge of mechanics. And he DESIGNED the Robot. If not
actually built it, then the theory and the programming behind it.

He's not a coward. All men are cowards at heart, and he simply uses it as a cover, knowing the Robinsons will protect one that they believe is weaker than them; but he took the job as a spy. I do not see anyone forcing him to do something he did not wish to do.

He also has a high ranking in the military and many medals that he earned, although I can't recall those at the moment - but he is not a weak or cowardly man.

So if you combined Spock and McCoy? You would have Dr. Smith.

.........if you bear in mind that they ran at the same time and Jonathan Harris gradually changed the character so as to keep him from being the useless villain to be killed off - Smith really is the only reason to watch the series, and did end up stealing the show in the later series aired. However, one must get through the first few episodes........ - so my line of thinking may not be ENTIRELY implausible.

Only mostly.

Have I mentioned that I can find plausible ways to link all of the shows that I watch together?

Anyway.....

There are some things that irk me immensely. Granted, this list is probably longer than I remember given it fades and shifts as my interest waxes and wanes - but for the most part, there are a few constants.

Have you ever found out about a terrific character? Great story arc, great lines, terrific humour, good morals (or the like), terrific personality, good style, etcetra, etcetra, etcetra.....  The only problem being that the character is in something that you could never ever watch or read because the rest of it is rubbish?
Quite annoying. Frustrating rather. Right on par with that is the terrific character who is there for all of two minutes in two hours. Lovely....

Or what about actors? Usually, I shy away from all having to do with them. There tends to be too much drama and hypocrisy, but since I've noticed some actors tend to play the same sort of character - such as, if I like one portrayal, there is a chance I'll like the others - I watch more things they're in. The drawback to this? I usually like the characters that appear for two seconds or I can't see, and generally, the rest of the roles are the same. Great, certainly - but I can never see it. Or, even better than this, they tend to play in genres that I can't or won't watch at all!


You don't.

Welcome to my ramblings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will always reply with SOMETHING. Welcome to my ramblings - we're all mad here.....